Over 50 and Fabulous!
How to Embrace Changes as we Age!
Aging, it’s the natural part of life right? So I find myself wondering why so many people find it dreadful instead embracing the beauty and wisdom that comes with the process.
Everywhere you turn you see an anti-aging cream or a magical serum that promises to turn back the clock, make you look and feel more youthful. Unfortunately these “magical” youth serums and procedures come at a cost, what cost you may be wondering. The obvious would be the financial cost, advertisers heavily Photoshop and hire younger models to represent their products, making you the consumer shell out mega bucks for a “possible” youthful appearance. It also takes away your ability to love yourself for who and what you are, over fifty and fabulous all natural.
There is a slew of celebrities that embrace their age, seeing the beauty in their wrinkles, and natural grey hair. When I think of graceful, aging, and embracing their journey Meryl Streep is the image that comes to mind, one of the best actresses of her generation. We’ve seen her age right before our eyes, yet we don’t see her changing her appearance to be younger. Her long grey streaked beautiful hair, aging lines upon her face, all the way to needing to wear glasses. Meryl has embraced her journey through life, allowing what is inevitable to happen, aging. I remember a quote she said, “ You have to embrace getting older. Life is precious, and when you’ve lost a lot of people, you realize each day is a gift.” Meryl is fearless and proud of aging, the way we all should be.
I think it’s time to change our views on aging. Let’s age gracefully, with dignity and pride. You may be asking yourself what you can do to help with this process, well here are a few things to help get you started.
– Get your beauty sleep, there are so many benefits to getting an adequate 7-8 hours of sleep a night.
– Drink plenty of water, believe it or not water can help prevent wrinkles, ensure softer skin, and helps keep your skin soft.
– Where sun protection, protecting your skin from harmful UV rays will help reduce age spots, wrinkles, and skin cancer.
– Stay active, a simple daily walk can increase your energy levels; it will keep you looking and feeling young.
– Moisturize regularly, you’d be amazed at how regularly moisturizing will smooth your skin, leaving it protected against wrinkles.
– Keep a positive attitude, science proves being positive equates to being happy, therefore reducing stress which helps you remain looking and feeling younger than your actual age.
– Be fearless, know who you are and be proud of what aging brings you!
– Be a role model, younger ladies look up to us so let’s show them it’s okay to have salt-n-pepper hair, laugh lines and imperfections.
Wisdom, resilience and a mature perspective are often cited as the hard-won prizes of aging. But growing old itself is an accomplishment. Accept the inevitable changes of aging, rather than seeing them as an aberrant crisis.
I believe it’s about time we change our views on aging. With age comes wisdom, and a beauty that shows we’ve lived our life. Botox isn’t going to make you feel younger, in my eyes it’s just erasing the proof you’ve laughed, you’ve lived, you’ve loved your life. Why hide what natural beauty has been given to you with each birthday you’ve been blessed with, embrace it, flaunt it and love yourself!